Karuta Clan Round-Up 11/9/2017

A number of teams sporting the bespoke team wear supplied by Karuta Sportswear played over the past week. Here is a roundup of the action.

Newton Abbott RFC vs Weston-Super-Mare RFC


Weston’s run of 30 games without defeat came to an abrupt end at the hands of a Newton Abbot side brimming with talent. Weston started the game in the ascendancy and pressed the home defence as a forward pass kept Weston at bay and from taking an early lead. This seemed to galvanise the home side who for the next twenty minutes ran phase after phase until the Weston defence was left ragged as they scored four tries back to back. Weston reorganised at half time and like the first half started very strongly but were soon having to defend again. Newton Abbott’s class was there for all to see as they ran numerous phases before unleashing the ball through their talented backs. They scored a further three tries to bring the final score to 54-5. A tough day at the office for Weston who will look to bounce back next week when they take on Bournemouth RFC at the Rec.

Burnham-On-Sea RFC vs Chard RFC


Chard made it two wins in a row with a very competent display against the only other Somerset team in this division. Despite a stormy outlook, the game started in near perfect conditions but Chard were guilty of a number of infringements and Burnham took a three-point lead with their first kickable penalty. Chard gradually got on top with some fine forward play and went over for the first converted try midway through the first half. Some basic handling errors close to the home 22 saw Chard take full advantage of the opportunity presented to them as they scored their second try of the match. This sparked Burnham into life as they instantly hit back with an unconverted try. As half-time approached Chards forwards were rewarded for their endeavour with a penalty try and the backs instantly added gloss to the score line with a well worked try to take the score to 8-24. Burnham certainly upped their game in the second half and scored an unconverted try almost from the restart. However, the Chard defence stood strong and much of the second half was evenly contested with the final score coming in at 13-31. A great victory for Chard who take on Kingsbridge at home this Saturday looking to continue their outstanding start to the season.

Tiverton RFC vs Falmouth RFC


After a tough result last week against Devonport Services, Tiverton were looking to bounce back against Falmouth RFC. It was their opening home game of the season and they were looking to make amends after a disappointing start to the league campaign last week. The game started extremely evenly with both teams testing each other early on. Tiverton started to gain control of the match and put Falmouth under increasing pressure, it was only a matter of time until they got their reward and shortly after they scored their first try of the match. Falmouth looked to respond but Tiverton had now stepped it up a gear and were taking full control of the game as half-time approached. The whistle couldn’t come soon enough for Falmouth who needed to reorganise and recompose themselves for the second half. The Second half was a much more open game and although Falmouth managed to respond with a couple of well-worked tries, Tiverton were not going to be denied victory as they ultimately over powered and out played their opponents to run in multiple tries during the second half to win the game by a comfortable 15 points with the final score coming in at 27-12. A great victory to kick start the new season and put the previous result behind them. Next week they will look to build on this result as they travel to Wadebridge.

North Petherton RFC vs Drybrook RFC


North Petherton kicked off with the advantage of a blustery wind and slight slope in their favour. North Petherton’s big forwards were straight onto the attack. From the first lineout, just inside the Drybrook twenty-two, they started a powerful driving maul that Drybrook were forced to bring down just short of the try line, the referee had no qualms about awarding a penalty try and the perfect start was complete. However, Drybrook hit back almost instantly with a well-worked team try that saw them score in the corner after good work from their backs. It was going to be an extremely tight game and a winner was almost impossible to predict. North Petherton were making inroads with their extremely strong pack and added two further penalties. A quick tap penalty led to Drybrook breaking away and scoring under the posts to take a one point lead as half-time approached. Ill-discipline from the Pethy pack at a lineout led to a penalty try being awarded to Drybrook in the final play of the half leaving the score at 13-21. After half time Pethy conceded almost instantly leaving a mountain to climb, however, a good period of play was rewarded with a converted try and they began to believe the comeback was on. Pethy’s forwards then set up good ball to allow their winger to cross the line and earn them a deserved bonus point, but the victory was to evade them as the game finished 27-33. A great performance that deserved a better result.

Bishop Sutton vs Portishead Town FC


Portishead travelled to a strong Bishop Sutton team this weekend looking for a positive result. After multiple draws in recent weeks, they were looking to get a victory that kept evading them. Whether it was down to bad luck or a lack of cutting edge, Portishead were confident heading into this league encounter against a well organised Bishop Sutton side. The game started very timidly with both sides waiting to see what the other had in the locker. A few attacks from either side led to nothing as the game started to open up. As half time approached the home side started to take control but Portishead were looking lively on the counter attack which led to an extremely intriguing encounter. The second half was played in a similar pattern to the first and it looked like only a matter of time until the home team got the goals their play was arguably worthy of. The game entered a frantic period with both teams attacking at will as the full-time whistle loomed. This led to both teams being exposed at the back and taking advantage after gambles hadn’t paid off. The game finished 2-1 to Bishop Sutton who slightly edged the overall play but Portishead will feel hard done-by to not even receive a point for the efforts they put in. This game could have gone either way and unfortunately, luck just isn’t on Portishead’s side at this current time.

Karuta Sportswear would like to congratulate all members of their Clan on their results over the weekend and wish them all the best in their upcoming games this week.

Interested in joining the Clan? For more information call 01934 419901 or email info@karuta-sportswear.com

About the Author


Related Post